As a (hopefully) temporary fix, I have included the following line in
onResume() and it appears to do the trick.  Initially I tried to only run
this when the IME isFullscreenMode(), but this returns false in onResume
(after returning true in onPause()).  I would guess that this is part of
the root of the problem.  When system Screen lock is None and the screen is
turned on, the IME doesn't know that it's in full screen mode when it
actually is.

((InputMethodManager) getSystemService(INPUT_METHOD_SERVICE))
        .restartInput(getCurrentFocus());

pb
----
Open Source Android App