A while ago, I posted (see links below) about a problem with my app.
Whenever the app was killed by the OS, either memory cleanup or device
restart, all the preferences were reset.  Since my app worked entirely
from those preferences, it made it pretty much useless.

I found out that persistent for SharedPreferences is not turned on by
default.  If you add the following attribute to the root element,
PreferenceScreen, of your preferences xml file, then it will turn
persistence on and your preferences will not get reset any more.

android:persistent="true"

I hope this helps some of you out there, as it was very frustrating
for me.

Thanks,
Eric

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_frm/thread/a1f4cb597689374e