I've fought doing that myself, especially because you can't use the
PreferenceActivity and have to redo your entire UI.

It would be really cool if we could plug in different "Preference" storage
solutions.  One could be the SharedPreferences object, but another could be
a database.  By having a SharedPreferences interface and being able to
specify a preferences factory in the constructor or OnCreate method of the
activity, we would be able to implement any solution we want and still use
the preferences xml elements.

Thanks,
Eric