Hello,

We've experienced a very similar dramatic increase in 1-star ratings in the
last couple of days, from less than 5% to near 20% (over a sample of app.
200 ratings). There seems to be no natural explanation:

- No update has been released in this period.
- No change in crash logs (crash numbers have substantially decreased in
fact).
- No complaints or reports from users.
- Almost all reviews continue to be associated with 5 or 4-star ratings.

We initially assumed an attack by competitors, but we also wonder if this
could be a Google Play issue. The Known Issues page does include the
following entry:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/3475090?hl=en

The entry concerns "sudden large increases in user ratings". However, this
issue appears under Recent Fixes so presumably should be resolved?

Judging by the timing in our case (starting two days ago), this does not
appear to be related to the Google Play update on December 10th.

Any ideas? The app in question is My Talking Pet:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.wobamedia.mytalkingpet

The app has been making good progress in terms of downloads and rankings
recently but is still in its infancy, so these rating problems are posing a
serious threat. We've contacted Play support but are still awaiting a reply.

Cheers,
Michael

---
"Android Developers" group.