Some operations are faster in Java these days, _most_ are functionally
equal, and a few special cases (not relevant to most developers), C++ is a
better choice.  Making the blanket "Java is slow" statement is just
factually wrong today.  Can we move on from 1992, please?

I'd add to your last statement and say:

Write it in the supported platform and verify your assumptions that it is
too slow, then see how you can optimize from there on that platform, and
then if all that fails, try something custom.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization

On Sunday, May 11, 2014 7:40:37 AM UTC-7, Larry Meadors wrote:

> If you're thinking Java is slow on a desktop compared to c++, you're
> right - it is.
>
> But Android doesn't actually run Java. :-|
>
> You write code using the Java language. It's compiled into Java bytecode.
>
> That bytecode is then processed again to create Dalvik dex files for
> Android. Dalvik is "designed to be suitable for systems that are
> constrained in terms of memory and processor speed".
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalvik_(software)
>
> Your question is analogous to "Are trains better than boats?" If you
> need to go across a desert, a train is far superior. If you need to go
> across an ocean...not so much.
>
> If you're trying to decide which way to go, your best bet is to try
> both and see.
>
> It really depends on what you are doing.
>
> Larry

---
"Android Developers" group.