I just tried a second device (this one is a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Edition tablet) which was also previously working (with the older version
of ADT) and it reacts the same way (unauthorized). I then tried my wife's
brand new note 5 and to my surprise, it does the same thing. I tried all
the steps from my original post,  but it still shows as unauthorized by
'adb devices'.

What could the problem be? As reported above, I've uninstalled Android
Studio (and ADT) and re-installed. Is it possible there's a problem with
this version of Android Studio (and/or ADT)?

What can I do to debug this problem? Is there any way to turn on extended
debug logging?

Thanks for any help.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/2d985398-9b49-472d-bb32-bcc8ce5ba4f8%40googlegroups.com.