The problem is probably that your list item is opaque. The selector
is, by default, drawn *behind* the list item. either use a different
selector, or draw it on top (which requires a different selector
anyway since the default one is opaque) or make your list items'
background support the selected state.

Also, instead of setting a single solid color, you should use colors
that support states.

--
Romain Guy
Android framework engineer

to provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on