On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Romain Guy <romain...@google.com> wrote:

>> I've already said this once -- even though your game can be tuned to
>> the max, nothing prevents *other* apps from triggering GC.
>> That is, in my game, I *never*, *ever* do any allocation after startup.
>> However, other background processes do trigger GC, and voila - my game
>> stutters for a bit when GC kicks in.
>
> Other apps CANNOT cause GC in your process. Background processes can
> interrupt your game but it has nothing to do with GC.
> --

You might want to synchronize what you're saying with JBQ.

"The
original problem as I see it isn't about GCs in other apps, it's about
behaviors that cause "remote" GCs in your game. I think it'd be much
simpler if your game could say "I don't want remote asynchronous GCs",
and it would probably even be more effective."

So, ok, I *admit* other apps can't cause DIRECTLY a GC in my app, but
it doesn't matter to me because other apps can cause the system to
lack memory and perform GC and it would ask my app's process to do GC,
which is how I understand JBQ's explanation of "remote GC".

So back to my point. I don't care what causes GC in *my* process. If
it's not me I DON'T want my process to be bothered at all.

Cheers