I'm not sure whether to bring this up on the developer or market
group.  Since it is a developer-oriented discussion, I have chosen to
put it here.  I apologize if I was incorrect in this choice.

I am about to release a major upgrade for my app.  It represents
hundreds of hours of work spanning several weeks of my life.  The
increase in functionality and change in behavior and UI are
significant, so much so that I intend to raise the price (slightly)
after uploading the new version.  Problem is, current users will
simply download the new upgrade for free without paying me
anything...unless they are kind enough to make a donation.  I don't
want to make the new app a completely different package because then
new and upgrading users would have to pay the full price, which would
probably (rightfully) infuriate the current users.  I don't want to
charge them full price, I honestly don't want that kind of money from
them

...but just because you bought MS Office in 1987 or whatever doesn't
mean you get to walk out of a store with every new version for free
for the rest of your life after that...

I don't know what to do, but I hate the idea of just giving all this
effort away for free, I've worked insanely long hours on this
project.  I am looking or any suggestions.  The only approach I've
thought of so far is the beg and plead for upgrade donations on the
splash screen or something pathetic like that.

Ideas?