This means that the RenderThread has been paused or not yet been
started properly. Make sure you resume it when your activity's
onResume is called.
If you're using the code from example GLSurfaceView, removing the 'wait
()' will make your future customers quite angry: Their battery will be
drained quite quickly, with the RenderThread looping as fast as it can
all the time.