Yes, you are right, for many applications it may not be that critical.
It rather reflects my own disappointment with the fact that whereas
modern Nokia phones meet my real-time requirements with Java ME and
offer satisfactory performance for users without any need to mess with
native code, the speed loss of a factor 5-10 under Android means that
my app isn't really usable under Android for some time to come. AFAIK
there's nothing on the public Android roadmap either concerning a JIT
compiler, or a native vector processing library with an Android API,
and an ETA for the NDK is still missing, so there is currently not
much point in planning ahead here when one needs more performance
while maintaining CPU independence at the coding level (say for ARM
and x86).