On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Ikon <ayanafr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The variable example was just a small example.  My point was that on
> the variable rename alone is not a copyright violation, just because
> it relates to the same idea. However you cannot copy someones
> functions and rename the functions/vars and make it your own. This is
> obviously a close call, and it must be made by a fact-finder.
>
> As for your example of a swing, my comment was directed towards video-
> games, and not physical apparatuses, which are clearly patentable.  I
> know what is accepted as patentable or not by the USPTO, as I submit
> these patents on a regular basis.

If you file patents on a regular basis, then surely you must have
heard of the 'swing' patent before, which isn't actually a patent for
the apparatus itself, but for a method for swinging sideways on a
standard swing. Anyone who was ever a child should be aware of the
prior art for that, yet it still got issued. Perhaps patent clerks
don't go through the normal human growth cycle but emerge fully grown
from a vat or something... :)