> it would be done on a discussion list, which would fit in with many
 > open source projects I've worked on where pre-release versions are
 > circulated and then developers say "Yay" or "Nay" to whether it's good
 > enough to call a production release,

I'm not sure what Open Source projects work like that. All projects I've
ever been involved with have some kind of circle of leadership that
decides what is released, and when. Sometimes community input plays a
larger role, sometimes it is smaller. I think we all agree that Android
moving towards being more community driven is a good thing, and should
happen rather sooner than later. But at the end of the day, there will
always be a single instance calling the shots, and for Android, for the
foreseeable future, that will be Google.

You really can't expect a random private build that you made to be
considered anything other than unofficial. In pretty much any Open
Source project I've ever heard of.

Michael