dni_linux wrote:
> I should have mentioned that.  Yes, I did try the Browser app in
> Android and it was able to bring up websites.  Yes, I'm behind a
> firewall.  However, i've never before experienced web access problems
> (and besides, the built-in android browser works as just mentioned).

That eliminates several possible sources of problems.

> Can this be some kind macos-ganymede-sdk1.5 problem?

Possibly. I'm a Ubuntu-Eclipseless-SDK1.5 kind of guy. ;-)

Try loading some other Web page than www.google.com, preferably one that
does not have any Javascript dependencies, and see if that changes your
results.

Or, head over to:

http://commonsware.com/Android/

and download the source code to my book. Try the WebKit set of projects.
I tried WebKit/Browser1 and it worked fine on 1.5 in the emulator. I
also tried WebView/GeoWeb1 from my Advanced Android book on 1.5, and it
too worked fine, and that one uses Javascript.

Since you're using Eclipse, you'll need to import the files into an
Eclipse project. However, it eliminates the cutting-and-pasting you're
having to do from the online tutorial, which may help matters.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android App Developer Books: http://commonsware.com/books.html