As far as I know, the 1.1 system image available in the 1.5 SDK is the same
one than the one that came with the 1.1 SDK
On the other hand, the tools that come with the SDK have evolved. The Dalvik
conversion happens at built time, before anything
is run on the 1.1. system in the emulator.

Do you have more details about the error message (e.g. which source file
causes it, for example).