It's possible to store files to assets directory of your Android
project and access them like this

final InputStream is = context.getAssets().open("myfile.txt");

Asset files like resource files are included into application package
and you only need to install apk as usual.
For other approaches please check MediaPlayerDemo from APIDemos.
Confusing moment (for me) is that path to sd card should be started
with "/sdcard/" (sorry, don't remember which slash is correct).
And remember that file name is case sensitive.