I did what you said and it worked.  This is actually exactly what the
Alarm Clock application does since when you click on an alarm it
doesn't select the entire ListView element but just the clock and
message.  However I still have a couple problems with this:

1. Why???  I find this behavior to be very confusing especially when
other simpler list view item layouts work just fine at the top level
(for example browser options clicking selects the entire element
including the checkbox which is what I want)
2. This actually really screws up my code because now my
OnItemClickListener which was returning to me the index which is
useful now just has a reference to the element.  I could probably
figure out the index either way but it seems like a pointless mess.

Is there some piece of documentation you could point me to that
explains what is going on here?  It seems very quirky to me.