Christian S. wrote:
> Folks, apologies ... I have a very urgent request. Tomorrow I want to
> present an Android application on the phone (not on the emulator) to a
> group of students. I have a Samsung Galaxy running on Android 1.5.
>
> I got it all hooked up and I can see the device using "adb devices". I
> can also see it in DDMS. So the connection is fine. I even can install
> the application on the device - but I cannot run it.

What errors are you getting?

> The main problem seems to be that my application cannot access the
> corresponding local SQLite database.

Ideally, your application would lazy-create the database.

> I figured out that I also cannot access the data/data folder
> on the devices.

Not by browsing. Particularly if your application is compiled in debug
mode, you should be able to access its files and such directly via adb
push and adb pull. Leastways, last I tried, that worked on devices --
it's been a bit.

> Then I found out that I
> have to "root" the device. But absolutely no clue how I can do that.

You should not need to do that.

> Also installing the apk through "adb install ...." did not work.

What errors did you get? And how did you install the application otherwise?

> What can I do in order to get my SQLite db on the device? Do I have to
> root it?

If you have an existing SQLite database, with the device plugged in, and
from the directory where the database resides, run:

adb push your.db /data/data/your.package.here/databases

where your.db is the SQLite database and your.package.here is the Java
package for your application, as declared in your manifest.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android App Developer Training: http://commonsware.com/training.html