Hi everyone,

here's some short data on my app:

Travel: Transport Finder
and shows their upcoming schedule (works for Germany and Switzerland).
Also has a widget for the homescreen.
By: Daniel Kleine-Albers
Published on the market: No, waiting for ADC2 feedback
Website: http://www.dka-edv.net/android/ (empty now, will be setup in
the next couple of days)

Androidwise the greatest challenge was the control of the service
lifetime (starting / stopping / power saving) - it's kind of tricky
when you have a widget as well as an application that access the same
backend service. Also, the emulator seems to behave different than a
real device in this regard in some cases.

Contentwise the greatest challenge was to get the schedule data. The
stops are retrieved from OpenStreetMap (same for everywhere), but
their XAPI servers are not reliable, so I had to setup my own one
(with reduced dataset because of space limitations). For schedule data
it is more difficult, as at least each country has a different place
to get them from and these places are usually not offering a stable
API. This is also the reason why the app only works for Switzerland
and Germany (which might be a big disadvantage in ADC2) - in the app
there is basically support for a different provider per country (which
again is difficult for, e.g., the US).

I have not been involved with ADC1 but I read that there were around
1700 entries. I guess it will be more this year as the Android
platform has gained a lot in popularity. Anyway I think there will be
a lot of nice contributions and that it will be a pretty tough
competition. For me personally this was already a great learning
opportunity.

Cheers
Daniel