For ADC2 I created BabelSnap! for the Travel category. You use the
device's camera to snap a bit of text, whether from a public sign, a
menu, or newspaper, etc.  The image is fed through an OCR, and the
resulting plain text can be translated to any language.

  http://babelsnap.com/   (Yes, the demo video has the world's
cheesiest and generic music. :-)  Maybe I should have left it with no
audio! )

I attended GoogleIO at the end of May where I first learned about
ADC2, and received one of the Google Ion devices. Substantial prize
money plus free device -- I could not ignore the opportunity to
participate. That prize money could afford me some more help, and
maybe some better OCR that recognizes non-latin characters, and maybe
help pay some bills too! :-)

I built BabelSnap in about 5 weeks. I had all the basic stuff
functioning in about half that time. The other half I spent learning
the idiosyncrasies of an android app -- like what happens when someone
presses the back button or home button while your background thread
(not your UI thread) is still doing processing...  And having to do
manual garbage collection when manipulating/copying large images from
the camera.... And the camera API itself -- could use some
improvements in documentation, and in the API itself. (That is another
topic.)

The version of BabelSnap I submitted to ADC works well if you can
acquire a good image for the OCR. But this takes a bit of practice,
holding the camera steady while focusing, framing the text properly,
and hitting the shutter button all at once. I want it to work a little
more "casually", and not require so much practice. The revision I am
currently working on will permit the user to assist in picking out the
relevant bits of the snapped pic that contain the text they want to
translate, by simply touching/dragging across that part of the image.

In all, I have a very positive experience in creating an Android app.
I am impressed with what I could assemble in such a short period of
time.

As for the deadline and submitting updates.....  Google *had* the draw
the line somewhere. I could have gone on indefinitely fixing things
up. I was glad to have a hard deadline, and sad to give up some
functions that I wish could have been present for the judging. I do
like the approach of continuing to make revisions available in the
Market independent of the ADC submission.

I also think Google has the right approach in trying to cultivate new
mobile app ideas -- everyone loves a little competition. And Google
seems serious; they've put forth a great deal of cash and hardware.

Good luck to all. I look forward to trying out your new apps.

-broc