Thank you everyone for the helpful information.

What I have learned so far:

* Android devices are limited in speed and power, so don't expect all
the same functionality of a computer.*
I understand this concept, and my initial suspicion is that this is
not the issue. I have one (1) slider on the page, and nothing else.

*setJavaScriptEnabled is relevant to webkit widgets, not web pages*
Okay, good to know I can remove that as a potential source of the
problem.

* http://www.nanaze.com/2009/01/debugging-javascript-on-android.html *
Thank you for the link, however, that article went way, way over my
head, at commercial airliner altitudes.

*If you can run a Google Map API on the phone, you should be able to
handle most JavaScript applications.*
I tested with the supplied URL, and it works fine on my phone. If this
elaborate map thing works on my phone, surely my slider should.

*It is a high enough probability that I am in Tokyo that Shawn is
willing to make wagers about that fact.*
That would be a safe bet.

*Testing can be done on the emulator*
... Which is nifty, but setting up the debugger part was, again, way
over the head of a web page making guy like me.

In the end, thank you all for the information. I've learned a little
more.

But I don't know if I'm much closer to a solution yet. Maybe if I get
this debugger thing worked out... but I'd rather be making web pages.

Is there no reference that outlines any special considerations for how
JavaScript runs on Android? Is Android *supposed* to run JavaScript
like any other JavaScript capable browser?