It seemed reasonable to call the "android developer phone" a "dev
phone". Asking if there would be a second one (since, you know, the
first is called adp *1*) now that there is a significant
increase/change in hardware design (cpu, storage, vendor, etc) seems
reasonable too.

Ditto for the sdk - according to numbering, its the 2nd huge leap for
the platform (if you figure 1.0,bugfix1.1->1.5,bugfix1.6->2.0) and its
due out no later than the end of November (according to the ads, much
earlier according to leaked info). Trying to get a hold of it to
test/update apps before devices come out on a major carrier seems
perfectly reasonable.

For most of the past year, the adp1 has been billed as a device for
app or platform devs (and I seem to recall some desperate downplaying
of the platform side since it was not possible for so long.) Even now
it is offered as a reasonable alternative to carrier devices for
application devs (although it still says 'framework 1.0' and I'm not
sure thats available anywhere)
http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html