If past experience is any indication, there are more areas of concern:
sensors, camera preview come to mind.
I suppose everybody agrees that a big inventory of apps are a big win-
win for everybody involved (although a case could be made that many of
the devs that put in the effort and investment upfront start finding
out that their cut of happiness is rather small).
Thus far we have not heard that independent devs had an opportunity to
test out their stuffs on the Motorola/Verizon Droid, under NDA of
course. I am sure a campaign by Verizon/Motorola that involved
independent devs would have long leaked, so I assume Verizon's Droid
will hit the dev community cold. Supposedly with Android 2.0, even. If
this was all the case, wallpapers and ringtones aside, I am sure
plenty of apps will be borked, until everybody had a chance to catch
up. No question there will be a barrage of snotty comments in the
Android Market for those that didn't stay on their toes to black out
Verizon on the Market Publishing site, and I am sure Apple, Nokia and
others won't be far behind to add insult to injury. Would that
actually be a good thing? Perhaps, just to shake things up. At this
point, there doesn't seem to be much acknowledgment by the higher
powers that independent devs aren't getting an opportunity to actively
participate in the development and launch of a new product or SDK
release in a way that allows them to make apps available on day one,
and in a way that's commensurate with the earnings potential of apps
that the parties involved, Google, carriers, manufacturers, wish to
leverage into unit sales. To make clear text out of this, going back
to the OP's question: Dev phones by the various manufacturers will
have to be made available at a considerable discount, or we can say
goodbye to rich, meaningful apps, in all the beautiful variety, at
least.
JP

On Oct 25, 2:17 pm, "Fred Grott(Android Expert)"