We will potentially be sharing images between an android app and other
apps (gotta keep those costs down).  I am attempting to find a way to
have the android app use image files that are outside of its project
directory tree (i.e. not in res/drawable).

At the moment I'm thinking some custom work with aapt (via ant build)
is my best shot.

I will first attempt multiple -S parameters (or multiple values for -
S) but I'm not expecting that to work.

I will then see about two aapt runs.  The first would generate the apk
from the non-project directory.  The second would generate from the
project directory as normal and include (using -I) the first apk.

Has anyone attempted something like this before?  Does anyone see any
immediate problems with any of these approaches?  I'm thinking there
may be some hiccup in the identifier numbering but hopefully that can
be handled.

Worst case scenario I'll just add an ant target to manually copy the
external resources over before doing the build.  I am really loathe to
do that though.  Accessing the images directly when needed is much
safer.