Hi Carlo,

well, I'm currently really only experimenting with zero optimizations - one
could say I nearly make everything wrong regarding performance. So you can
treat all my answers and numbers as a worst case.

2010/2/15 Carlo <ca...@hyperdevbox.com>

> Thanks for your feedback :)
>
> Do you push optimized triangle list indexed, triangle list or strip in
> your scene ?

 I push indexed triangle lists. Vertex data is sorted by first occurrence of
an index. I'm currently not using interleaved buffers. No VBOs.

> well, from our experience here, If you have a common setting that you
> do not change we do not see this problem, let's say you have 1 light
> set and keep it this way, however if you have a scene with multiple
> texture, 2 or 4 point lights that you turn ON/ OFF independently,
> color material, enable disabling LIGHTING between rendering batch of
> geometry  then we start to see some very strange hang which i do not
> explain since the exact same opengl code works perfectly on the droid/
> milestone (smooth as butter).

Ok, compared to this my scene setting is currently very simple. One
directional light.
Enabling/Disabling this light does not hurt performance.

For the Normals, just FLOAT is working and so we will use FLOAT but
> still that's broken as we should be able to have support for BYTE for
> normals too.
> As for the performances, 300 000/s (while ok) are far away from the
> 22millions/sec (roughly 1.5%) listed on the qualcomm spec for the
> snadragon :

While I have doubts about the 22million/sec (may be: no colors, no lights,
no texture, screen size of tris: 1 pixel ??). I'm pretty sure if I switch to
VBOs, use 565 textures, ... I can increase performance dramatically.

Fill rate is IMHO a bigger problem. An "overdraw" of 2-3 seems to be the
limit. Using vertex colors and multi textures even an overdraw of 2 seems to
much.

> http://www.qualcomm.com/products_services/chipsets/snapdragon.html
>
> (wonder where they took this number out of)
>
> Performances drop very sharply if you turn on more than 1 light
> (specially if point light), there is no such of performances drop on
> the SGX PowerVR which still maintains high performances from what we
> can tell ;)

Hm, that's bad. For my current project I can probably live with one light
source, but in general this is not much.