On 2/22/10 2:20 PM, Frank Weiss wrote:
I'm one of those guys who think scope prefixes, like "m", are more trouble than they're worth. The fact that you had to explain it to a newbie makes me smile.

I use "m_" purely so I don't have to think up different names for my method parameters and to avoid things like "this.foo = foo"...it also avoids the accidental reference to a local variable when the member was intended (or vice versa). Is it awesome? No. But for me, it serves its purpose.

The fact that it needs explaining is beside the point. In the end it is just a name and whether you understand the convention being used or not is irrelevant, it still just functions like a normal name. No different than someone naming methods or variables with "_" to indicate something special. For the unaware, it's just a name. No understanding is necessary.

-> richard

p.s. Yeah, I know IDEs will color code member variables, but I'm not always in an IDE and generally I don't even notice syntax highlighting when I am programming. :-)