I don't buy that argument since since all of the core classes in Java
are written without prefixes of any kind, and many of the classes were
implemented before IDEs became popular. I do also think that the
convention would have been added to the "Code Conventions for the Java
Programming Language" (http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/
CodeConvTOC.doc.html) if Sun thought that it added some great value.

One thing that I have observed (it could be 100% wrong, but it's based
on reading Java code since the language was released in 1996) is that
most people who think they need prefixes and odd conventions write too
long methods, or too complex logic, and often in combination with
classes that are doing more than one thing. There's not need of
prefixing if your methods are short and easy to read (IMHO).