On Feb 22, 12:39 am, Bob Kerns <r...@acm.org> wrote:
> The point of style conventions is to make things easier, not provoke
> arguments.

It succeeds at both.

> There is, however, NEGATIVE benefit -- actual harm, from the Hungarian
> Notation you find in Microsoft's code, which redundantly encodes the
> PHYSICAL datatype in every usage, impeding maintenance, and often
> leading to variables declared one way but named a different way.

This article is interesting (skip down to "I'm Hungary"):

  http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html

He posits that the notation was created for different *kinds* of
things, not different *types* of things.  For example, a pixel offset
could be window-relative or layout-relative, and you'd use a different
prefix on the variable name to keep yourself (or others reading your
code) from mixing them up.  The use of redundant prefixes evolved out
of a misunderstanding of what the original proponent meant by "type".