Yes Mark, I refered to your wakeful intent article and then
implemented the wakelocks, alarmmanagers etc...It  works really well
for Nexus One and even G1.

The problem that our droid customers are facing is that the app works
well whenever the phone is on like not in sleep mode (shows status bar
notifications with sound).

But once the phone is put in the sleep mode they don't receive any
notifications. The interesting thing is if they come out of sleep mode
they can see the notification in the status bar. That made me think if
there was some problem with the sound and I told them to check the
sounds but it seems the sound settings are okay. I am bit confused.