Thanks for your reply martin. By any chance, do you have a list of
phones facing this problem?

In our case, the phone stops receiving notifications immediately after
it is put in the sleep mode. Once it is out of sleep mode it works
well. Also, the user has indicated that in sleep mode it works once in
five times or something similar.

For Nexus and G1 the app just works fine.

My other suspect was the speaker on the droid coz some users have
mentioned about this problem on motorola forums. Their speakers
stopped working in sleep mode but thats not the case either.

Pretty confused.