I ran this project overnight on a DROID:

http://github.com/commonsguy/cw-advandroid/tree/master/SystemServices/Alarm/

Every alarm fired, as expected. The device sat idle, unplugged, for over
12 hours.

I'll be checking it again every 12 hours or so for a while, to see if it
fails. After all, it may be that I just was lucky and the problem will
still crop up.

The work that this project does is very limited -- appends a line to a
log file on the SD card. Hence, the problem may occur if the background
task takes longer, interacts with radios, or something along those lines.

But, at least, right now, I have no evidence that it's a blanket problem
affecting alarms on all DROIDs.

Also, I should note that there are some apps out there that hack the
DROID a bit (e.g., overclocking). If you only see this in the field, and
not in the lab, and from only a small percentage of DROID users, it
could be something like that is interfering with the operation of the
device, and, hence, your app.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Online Training: 26-30 April 2010: http://onlc.com