I know that I can retrieve a string within an Activity as follows:

this.getString(R.string.foobar)

(assuming that I have previously defined a string named "foobar").

However. I'm wondering if there also might be an alternate way to
retrieve this same string in a functional manner, without an explicit
attribute reference. I'm talking about something like this:

this.somehowGetStringAnotherWay("foobar")

The reason I'd like this is so I can avoid compile errors if the
string doesn't exist. This would allow me to do something like the
following:

String foobar = null;
try {
  foobar = this.somehowGetStringAnotherWay("foobar");
}
catch (SomeSortOfException e) {
  Log.e("MyActivity", "foobar string not found");
}

Is there any way I can do this?

Thanks in advance.