> Let me get this straight - you would rather have a runtime exception that
> you just catch and ignore than a compile time error that will quickly
> identify your problem and allow you to fix it on the spot?
>
> Why exactly would you prefer this?

I want to change the behavior of my app by means of the presense or
absence of some items in strings.xml. This allows me to control this
behavior by simply adding or deleting the items, and then clicking the
Save icon in Eclipse (which automatically rebuilds). This allows me to
quickly test certain features during development.

Java doesn't have an equivalent to the C preprocessor. In C, I
sometimes put sections of code within "#ifdef" blocks and change the
program's behavior during development by commenting out or
uncommenting certain "#define" lines in a header file.

I would do this early in my app's development process. Later, once I
was more sure about the structure of my app, I'd dispense with this
procedure.

Yes, I know that there are other ways to achieve this same purpose. I
was just wondering if I could make use of the method I outlined.