For one thing, it allows you to alter the behavior depending on the
device characteristics.

It also is also easier to script such changes, via XSLT.

And it's one way pulling these configurable pieces into a single
location. Of course, a dedicated class accomplishes this.

It doesn't sound like he's taking advantage of any of these, but it's
worth noting the advantages anyway.

I've also done it with an XML resource, for things a bit too
complicated to describe with simple strings.