Oh yah, "Sucks" is my favourite comment to receive on my widgets.
Maybe Google could just use a blacklist of words which cause the
rating to be ignored from the average.

BTW, for fun, try tracking down some of the offenders.  Some of them
have unique IDs that are easy to track to a matching Gmail addr.  I
drop them a polite line thanking them for trying the widget and asking
in what way it was deficient.  I've yet to hit one where it was a real
deficiency in the widget.  Most often, when I send my canned email
about how to install a widget on the home screen (and what the home
screen is), they acknowledge that it works.  They rarely go back and
change their rating though.  I'm surprised I've survived with a 3.5
stars with all the "Won't install" ratings I've got. :-)

Garnet Ulrich