Initially I thought they were just an ad network as well but on the
Developers page they got a list of the different features that they
offer. The Plug & Play Services apply specifically to the original
post. I haven't used them yet so definitely can't vouch for how good
they are, but I have checked out the SDK and it has some great
features.

There's a couple reasons I believe TapJoy has an edge over the
competition. First, they already have an Android SDK available so you
can signup, download, and try it. Second, they were bought out by
OfferPal who's cash cow is Facebook. They've been around for a while
and don't think they are goin anywhere. Looks like OpenFeint is in the
process of creating a "Facebook like economy" but these guys have
already done it.

I really like the concept of giving users virtual goods in exchange
for the user installing an app, or completing an offer. Android users
seem to be pretty frugal, so this may be a great way for devs to put
out a free game and still make some serious cash.