@Justin:
That's a very good point Justin. I doubt that Apple will be able to
kill off
the truly established social sites, however, for two reasons:
1. The Apple social gaming platform seems as if it is going to be
fairly
limited (leaderboards and chat?). The established social sites offer
significantly more than that. Stuff like Achievements, cross-network
promotions, facebook integration and virtual goods all have a lot to
offer the
application developers that Apple do not seem likely to bring to the
table
anytime soon.
2. The social sites that have already achieved critical mass (e.g.,
OpenFeint with its 19 million+ registered users) are not going to
disappear overnight. Obviously, the Apple platform may well become
the default system to use for new applications, but what would make
the established developers move to it, if they can be offered better
services with a 3rd party system?

I read your comments on the previous thread which went over this
subject, so I guess you are pretty much on the DIY side of the
on-line scoring fence. As you may guess, I am somewhat on the
other side - I'd rather not have to build this, if I can get a deal
that
saves me work and server expenses. Sadly - as you note - none of
these services seem yet to be quite mature for Android.

@Rob:
You are indeed correct. It sort of gets lost in the information
overload of
their site, but they do indeed have some plug-in social functionality.
It does
not appear to be as fully-featured as the dedicated services, but the
SDK
being an open beta is certainly a huge plus. I shall have to make some
time to look at this.

OpenFeint hasn't revealed anything about their SDK for Android yet,
so... we'll see. From what I've been told, though, Scoreloop also
already
has the whole downloadable content/in-app purchase system in place -
though since their system is apparently in closed Beta, it is hard to
say how well that works.

And I agree with you - given the complete lack of protection afforded
for-pay apps (and the fact that a large proportion of developers can't
even sell
apps, even if they wanted to), virtual goods/DLC seems like a viable
way to go.
I do tend to wonder how virtual goods/DLC interplay with clause 4.5
of  the Android
Market agreement.

Regards,

Michael A.