Rob Y. wrote:
> I don't doubt that there's some cost to running an app that keeps
> drawing to a widget window.  But it shouldn't be any worse than
> running a live wallpaper, should it?

There can only be one live wallpaper at a time, AFAIK. There can be many
app widgets at a time. A technique that works well for one may not work
well for a dozen.

> I assume the widget would get
> notified when it's not visible and get the chance to stop animating -
> just like a live wallpaper's supposed to do.  Is that not true?

No, it is not true, at least not today. App widgets update independently
of whether they are visible, and hence are not supposed to update very
frequently.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Development Wiki: http://wiki.andmob.org