Hi Dianne, I think you misunderstood my 5 seconds comment.

I was not talking about an widget that updated its view every 5
seconds, i.e. an update at 0, 5, 10, 15 etc.

I was postulating a widget that in response to a trigger, say a click
by the user, ran an animation for 5 seconds, by changing the imageview
bitmap every tenth of a second or so. So, say 50 updates in that short
space of time.

>From my position of ignorance that didn't seem it should be more
intensive than doing a similar thing in an activity, and hence
shouldnt drain the battery any quicker than that.

But I guess the second part of your response still holds, there is
more of a overhead due to the whole remote views thing and the
interprocess communication that requires, which the Activity wouldnt
have.

Regards
James