On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:49 AM, RugBat <rug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> * What physical sizes, pixel counts, and resolutions (DPI) will be
> supported?

In cupcake we support 320x480 (HVGA) at approx 160 dpi (basically the G1
screen).  On the roadmap for after cupcake is 240x320 (QVGA) at approx 120
dpi and 480x640 (VGA and WVGA) at appox 240 dpi.

* What will be the consequences of running on a non-supported display
> -- would we just need to tweak some artwork and XML, or are there
> bigger issues?

Some number of third party applications will break.  If you don't care about
third party apps, no big deal.  If you do, for Cupcake your device must use
that screen configuration.

> * What if we went up to displays as large as 10"?

It all depends on what you are wanting to do with that screen.  I assume you
are looking at a net book kind of screen, in which case there may be much
larger issues than screen size, such as input mechanisms.  For the screen
though, I am imagining the current Android UI will work fairly well on it --
you'll want to use some of that space for decorations around the window,
showing notifications, recent applications, shortcuts to applications, etc,
making it easy for the user to navigate through the UI.  If your UI is
touch-based (meaning fairly large UI elements), I think this will probably
leave the remaining space for the foreground application that is larger than
the G1, but not ridiculous.

Of course there is no official support for this in the platform right now,
which means no compatibility for third party apps.  I don't think doing this
in a way that it can be an official platform feature with the associated app
compatibility would be an extreme amount of work, but we don't have it on
the roadmap that anyone is scheduled to do.

> * Will there be some facility in the Market for identifying what
> screen sizes are supported by specific apps?

In general, no.  I don't see any reason why an application should just not
work on a particular screen.  We need to do the work in the platform to make
an application work on whatever screen sizes we start to support.

> * Does wide versus non-wide (e.g. wide QVGA vs. QVGA) make a big
> difference?

It shouldn't.  Most apps should be using layout manager, so they will just
take advantage of the little additional space.  Those that don't shouldn't
break horribly (they might be a little ugly because they aren't using that
space); those that do break horribly should just be fixed by their author.
;)

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them.