Yes, the LocationManager would be the proper way to get the
information you are asking for.  It is the public API for location
services and already handles the IPC and permissions checking
necessary for transferring this information from the phone process to
an application.  Unfortunately it currently does not provide the
detailed cell location information you are asking for.

We could add the extra cell location information to the Bundle object
returned via the LocationListener.onStatusChanged() callback.  If you
could make a proposal of the information that should be included we
could try to add it in a future release.

Mike

--
Mike Lockwood
Google android team