On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Mark Brown <broo...@sirena.org.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 04:50:26PM +0530, pavan savoy wrote:
>
>> Should patches contributed to android-kernel (whatever tree, msm,
>> omap) be even considered to be submitted to kernel.org ?
>
> Yes, most kernel work is largely independant of Android and so will be
> just as useful in the mainline kernel.
Useful ? I couldn't see how.

>> The rfkill driver is merged, happily working on the android-kernel
>> tree (omap/ tree specifically), but it is only android that is worried
>> about anything like rfkill for bluetooth (not even linked to rfkill
>> input sub-system) !!!
>
> What makes you say this?
This is because Android's BT-On app (+ library) considers turning on
of the chip as writing "1" to an rfkill entry. This forces a developer
to write an rfkill driver for it. Which would probably not make sense
if say its a USB bluetooth chip or chip doesn't have an chip enable
gpio line.
[probably many other cases like this, ex: WLAN driver to be insmod-ed !!]
So, I never considered submitting this driver to open-source...

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/omap.git;a=blob;f=drivers/misc/wl127x-rfkill.c;h=aa8d4623c1be5001e9b8d24381b68ea868724f1c;hb=refs/heads/android-omap-2.6.29

--Pavan Savoy