On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:22:56AM +0530, pavan savoy wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Mark Brown <broo...@sirena.org.uk> wrote:

> > Yes, most kernel work is largely independant of Android and so will be
> > just as useful in the mainline kernel.

> Useful ? I couldn't see how.

Well, if Android can use the functionality of the hardware it should be
possible for other userspace stacks to make use of it.

> >> The rfkill driver is merged, happily working on the android-kernel
> >> tree (omap/ tree specifically), but it is only android that is worried
> >> about anything like rfkill for bluetooth (not even linked to rfkill
> >> input sub-system) !!!

> > What makes you say this?

> This is because Android's BT-On app (+ library) considers turning on
> of the chip as writing "1" to an rfkill entry. This forces a developer
> to write an rfkill driver for it. Which would probably not make sense

rfkill isn't at all Android specific, it's a standard part of the kernel
ABI and used by other applications too.  What do you see as being
Android specific in this usage?

> if say its a USB bluetooth chip or chip doesn't have an chip enable
> gpio line.

If the driver isn't doing anything then obviously that's a separate
issue but again I have to ask what makes you say that this is specific
to Android.  Other user space software that uses rfkill will be faced
with the same issue.

> [probably many other cases like this, ex: WLAN driver to be insmod-ed !!]

I'm not sure what you mean by that example, though it sounds like a
bodge to get round a buggy or incomplete wireless driver.  If there are
general cases where rfkill functionality is implemented in user space it
would probably make sense to ensure that there is a standard interface
that for userspace to hook in to.

> So, I never considered submitting this driver to open-source...

> http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/omap.git;a=blob;f=drivers/misc/wl127x-rfkill.c;h=aa8d4623c1be5001e9b8d24381b68ea868724f1c;hb=refs/heads/android-omap-2.6.29

I certainly don't see anything Android-specific there.  It might be
better to make more of the driver configurable from platform data so
that