On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Sunil Pillai <sunilpillai....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've a typical requirement for presenter hid device.

That's not "typical" at all.  What is causing this requirement?

> [Diagram below]
> =============
>
>        User Space
> ____________________________
>      i/p sub system
>      hid class driver
>              |----------------- * [Pass hid report
>              |                     coming from user space]
>         usb driver
>
> My requirments are as follows:
> 1. In userspace I have hid reports, which needs to be parsed. These
> hid reports needs to be sent to android input event manager, via
> kernel (strict requirement)

Why is this "strict"?  What is generating these hid events?  Userspace?
Ick, why would userspace ever want to generate a HID event when it can
generate the proper input events directly from userspace without all the
mess of the HID layer.

And you are aware of the patent issues regarding HID events and
userspace, right?  If not, please go do some research, or you might get
in trouble later on...

> 2. Basically once the hid report comes to kernel (via some means,
> hiddev interface, char driver interface etc), this needs to be sent to
> the hid class driver for parsing

Again, why a HID event?

> 3. Further hid class driver will take care of parsing it and sending
> it to user space via i/p subsystem.
>
> In need help to design the module marked * (in the above diagram).

I think you need to push back on the "design" :)

> Doubts:
>
> 1. What kind of an interface I can have here to get hid reports from
> user space.

None.  Don't do that.  Seriously.  It's crazy.

> 2. How do I then send this reports to hid class driver for parsing
> (register with which module)

If #1 is not done, then you don't have to do #2 so you are happy :)

What is the real, root, problem that you are trying to handle here?

And again, be _very_ aware of the patent issues surrounding HID events,
some companies take them _very_ seriously.

good luck,

greg k-h