System crashes are a bug in the platform, not in the application.  It should
be up to the device manufacturer to fix such a problem...  and if these
people are running some random build of who knows what, there is obviously
nobody who can help them with crashes they are experiencing on their device,
so they should wait until there is a real build to run to report any such
errors to the manufacturer.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Doug <dougforp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am an Android app developer, all of my work is within the Java
> runtime environment.  Before you point me to the android-developers
> list, please consider the following:
>
> I have had a number of users of my app report that with it installed
> on their rooted 2.2 devices (primarily the Verizon Droid) it causes
> the phone to reboot anywhere from every 15 minutes to every hour.
>
> I realize that the 2.2 codebase is not released yet (don't even know
> when), but the last thing I want is to be stung by 1,000's of users
> who suddenly encounter this problem after the OS is released into the
> wild.
>
> As such, I am doing my best to determine the cause of this problem.
> Users have reported that the phone will spontaneously reboot at pretty
> much any time (on the phone, off the phone, browsing the web, idle,
> asleep) with the one exception being that it seems to be stable when
> it is "plugged in"  (Most of this info has been gleaned from various
> forum postings, so accuracy cannot be 100% confirmed)
>
> Is there any way to access the Android equivalent of /etc/messages (or
> some other crash-dump file) AFTER the phone has rebooted?  (given that
> the users of these devices have root access)
>
> I *suspect* that the problem may be related to the network stack (the
> app tries to poll a server for changes periodically), and I think the
> problem may be somewhere in the handling of 'bad/unavailable' IP
> connections.
>
> Doug

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer