Hi

I have a requirement to write a component that is capable of
intercepting inbound/outbound TCP/UDP traffic from a device, which/
what is the best mechanism to accomplish this?

Implementing it as a plug-in to the network stack would be ideal (i.e.
like a Network Kernel Extension, NKE KEXT, on a Mac if anybody is
familiar with that platform) so that it can be distributed and
installed on existing devices. Making changes to and recompiling the
kernel source is undesirable (and thus having to reflash a device with
a new ROM image to install the code) but might have to be used if
there is no other option.

A side question - is there a mechanism available for my code to be
capable of detecting the application's from which the network traffic
originates? i.e. suppose there is a web browser application and the
user uses it to navigate to a web site, I would like to not only
intercept the resulting TCP traffic, but find out the name (or some
identifier) which will enable me to determine that the traffic
originated with the browser application as opposed to some other
application. Is this possible.

Thanks in advance.