Thank you

Could you confirm the Netfilter support/framework is actually present,
its just that the ability to use it in this way is disabled by default
(if so, out of curiosity, was that for security and/or performance
reasons?).

Is it possible to obtain all the necessary constituent parts (hardware
specific drivers etc.) from somewhere in order to include in a custom
system image that can be successfully executed on hardware?