Find one of the many online guides to writing a simple linux device
driver.

-or-

Find a driver that has similar structure to one you are interested in
working on and copy and rename it, adapting to fulfill your function
instead of the original.  Typically this will involve a few .c and
perhaps .h files in the kernel sources, and adding a new entry to the
Makefile of the appropriate source directory, and adding a new
CONFIG_WHATEVER to the kernel configuration (or you can temporarily
hardcode it enabled in the Makefile if you are lazy)

You will probably want to read up on and understand things like
character vs. block devices before getting started.