On 15 Mar, 10:21, lucrus <lucio.cru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> I'm new to this group and to Android kernel development in general, so
> please be patient with me for my newbie questions.
>
> My customer would like to use a external USB webcam (UVC) connected to
> a tablet that has a USB Host port. Are there any plans to include the
> UVC driver in the Linux kernel for Android in the future? The app
> would need to be easily installable by end users, so the "compile it
> yourself" solution is a non-starter.
>
> Also coding a static UVC library (GPL license) using the
> android.hardware.usb API seems a bit hard way to go... unless there's
> someone here, already UVC-skilled, interested in doing such paid job...

I just feel the need to clarify some points, based on private messages
received so far:

1. I'm not going to write a UVC driver for Android myself. For one,
I'm not skilled enough for that job and then I think we don't need to
write an UVC driver, we already have one in the Linux kernel. Either
we plan to include officially that in the Android Linux kernel, or we
plan to port that code as a Dalvik static library (if we ever decide
to do anything about that).

2. I know the current UVC Linux driver is GPL and many people
contributed it in years. For my project (actually my customer's
project) it's ok to have a GPL static library and then to make Android
apps under GPL license. If someone is interested in coding such
library, he would be paid to port/write GPL code.