HI,
We have been doing this work and were successfull as well with lots of
delay ~1-2 secs.The tablet kernel needs to have the uvc-usb and v4l2 module
enabled in that.The main challenge is that even if you are able to build
the lernel at your own by enabling the uvc support from the make
menu-config , no tablet distributor will allow you to do it and hence no
commercial solution for it.
Ofcourse you have to root your device but many of us knows that rooting
voids the warranty.All i can hint here is that rooting the device
cleverly(hacking the system/su code and calling it from the JNI) and having
inserted the uvc usb and v4l2 driver the frames can be grabbed upto to the
Android UI Framework .You just need to create the images out of the raw
data coming out of video node being created and display it on the
UI continuously.Lot of raw hacks and dirty tricks to get this done.
Also the device must be hot pluggable for any USB UVC device.There are lot
of device which you can readily use - Acer Iconia Tab A501 is one of them.
The biggest hurdle you can face is to get the creation of node- /dev/video0
being formed as soon you plug in the uvc camera.remember this.This is the
thumb rule for identifying the tablets which you can work upon.

Rgds,
softy
"..pain is temporary.....quitting lasts forever......"